Before & Aftercare
I want you to have the best possible results from your airbrush, so I recommend following these suggestions. I have written out both a basic set of instructions, as well as a more detailed set of instructions for those wanting to know all the pro tips of how to get the best results from your airbrush tan. Also please note that the products mentioned below are not required to be used with your airbrush, but in my honest opinion (as well as many of my regulars) these products will give you the best possible results. If you'd like to try a sample/tester of any of the products, I'd be happy to provide you with one.
- shave, shower and exfoliate prior to tan. Wear loose dark clothing after tan. Wait at least 8 hours to shower (or 2-4 hours with the express tan). Moisturize everyday.
- Shaving and waxing should be done prior to application. Major waxing (arms/legs) should be done at least 24 hours prior. (Wait as many days as possible to shave again after airbrush to preserve it.)
- Exfoliate with Bikini Island Body Wash and the Resurfacing Exfoliating Mitt (apply the body wash to the mitt and thoroughly scrub entire body. Also works great to remove unwanted airbrush tan.)
-If you don't have either of these products thats ok, just use a body wash that doesn't have mineral oil in it (as it leaves a barrier type film on the skin) and something exfoliating to srub with, a loofa or washcloth will be fine.
- It is OK to wear lotion (If it does NOT contain mineral oil or parabens) The Moorea Moisturizer works best. If you don't have this lotion, but want to moisturize prior to your tan, I will provide you with some upon your arrival for your appt. It is ok to apply the lotion right before the tan, in fact it will make the tan go on more evenly and last longer, because hydrating the skin will prevent premature shedding of the skin cells.
- It is OK to wear deodorant and/or makeup (tanning solution will penetrate thru makeup). However if you want to be able to wash your face before bed, make sure you wait at lease 8 hours before washing your face. If you would like to remove your makeup prior to application of your tan, a makeup wipe will be provided for you.
- Barrier cream is only needed on NON-painted nails, or on dry areas that may over-absorb the tanning solution (i.e. elbows, knees, feet.) Moisturizing the skin prior to your airbrush tan is another great way to ensure even absorption of the tan
- Bring loose dark clothing and flip flops to wear after as cosmetic bronzer may rub off onto clothing
- If it is raining the day of your airbrush, bring clothes and shoes that cover/protect your skin, since it's important to avoid getting your airbrush wet for the first 8 hours.
- Spray tanning is the last service to be completed (after waxing, nails, etc.…)
- If your airbrush tan is for an event such as prom or a wedding, please allow 48 hours from time of tan so that the tan can fully develop and help prevent any bronzer from rubbing off onto clothes. Usually 2 showers are needed to rinse off all of the cosmetic bronzer. I highly recommend booking a trial tan at least 2 weeks prior to your event to make sure we get the perfect color achieved for your special day.
- I highly recommend having the setting powder applied after your airbrush. It will take away the sticky feeling that normally occurs after receiving an airbrush. It will help prevent the airbrush from transferring to clothing or bedding. If you need to go about your day, and don't want to look or feel as though you've just had an airbrush tan, the powder is a must have. Its not recommended to work out for the first 8 hours after your tan, however if you'd like to workout prior to 8 hours, the powder will help absorb moisture (sweat) and preserve the appearance of your tan. Did I mention the powder also hydrates your skin leaving it silky smooth and glowing, and it also smells amazing!
- Avoid showering or perspiring for at least 8 hours (or 2-4 hours with the Express solution)
*note: With the regular (8-hour) solution it is OK to leave on for more than 8 hours, it will NOT over developed
-But with the express (2-hour) solution YOU MUST RINSE WITHIN 2-4 HOURS, because it continues developing and can turn orange? For this initial rinse ONLY USE WATER (soap products can interfere with the developmental process). Color will temporarily go away after shower. It will begin to gradually show after a few hours, and will be fully developed after 8-12 hours.
Express rinse schedule: 2 hours = light/natural tan 3 hours = medium tan 4 hours = dark tan
Avoid products that contain: Mineral oil, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and Parabens
- Use Bikini Island Body Wash while showering and apply Moorea Moisturizer after: hydrated skin is key to a healthy-looking spray tan. Use the Moorea Moisturizer everyday
- The spray tan lasts 7-10 days on the body, and about 3-4 days on the face, hands and feet. Use Tahitian Tan Mist for touch-ups on the face, hands and feet, or schedule a face touch up tan.
- Prolong the tan with Tahitian Tan Extender. Begin using the extender on day 4 of your tan. I suggest using the Moorea Moisturizer in the mornings and the tan extender at night. Can extend the tan for up to 2 weeks!
- Shaving will cause your airbrush tan to fade faster, however there are some tips to help preserve your tan. Use a new razor when shaving, and try using conditioner to help coat and protect the skin. Afterwards, apply the Tan Extender to any areas you shaved to add back some moisture and a touch of color. The Tan Extender contains 2% of the airbrush solution in it, so it will match your tan perfectly.
- Spray tanning products do not contain SPF and will not protect your skin from the sun. I suggest using Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen with any sun exposure.
- It takes 12-24 hours for the color from your spray tan to fully develop. Even after showering your tan may continue to get darker. It is normal to see brown in the shower water as the cosmetic bronzer rinses off. Be gentle with your skin, your tan will last longer.
- Pat dry with a towel after showering.
-Now get out there and enjoy your tan :)